At an estimated buying power of $884 million, the LGBTQ community is a market with significant influence. One of the leading ways to connect with the LGBTQ community is through social media and the use of influencer marketing. According to Facebook, more than 800 thousand people came out on the platform from October 2014 to October 2015.
Below are 10 insightful facts about the LGBTQ community.
- The three largest LGBTQ DMAs are New York, NY (638,646), Los Angeles, CA (618,447) and San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA (318,776).
- Baby boomers represent 34 percent of LGBTQ adults, while millennials represent 38 percent.
- The annual household income of the typical partnered gay man is about 18 percent higher than that of the average married heterosexual adult.
- On average, per capita income among gay partnered households is about 30 percent higher than that of married heterosexuals ($47,900 compared to $36,424).
- Gay males have higher discretionary spending than heterosexual men ($6,794 vs $6,041).
- LGBTQ households spend 35 percent more on online purchases than non-LGBTQ households.
LGBTQ & Social Media Usage
- In general, LGBTQ millennials are more likely than older generations to use social media on a daily basis: millennial men (4.2 hours), Gen X men (3.2 hours), boomer men (2.5 hours); millennial women (3.8 hours), Gen X women (3.1 hours), boomer women (2.6 hours).
- Nearly all LGBTQ consumers use Facebook at least once a week.
- Roughly six million of Facebook’s U.S. users identify as LGBTQ.
- Fifty-five percent of lesbian/bisexual females and 51 percent of gay/bisexual men have liked a brand’s Facebook Page, which ranked first among all digital interactions, according to a Community Marketing Inc study.
Motivate, the leading specialized insights and media partner for reaching Multicultural, Youth and LGBTQ segments, for reaching the LGBTQ community through authentic, relevant and targeted media. You need a trusted media partner that understands the impact of changing demographics and helps you navigate the marketing maze. We understand the nuances and intricacies of the LGBTQ market and have the resources and expertise to ensure maximum buying power, impact and ROI.
Sources: Community Marketing & Insights, Experian, International Business Times, Motivate, Nielsen, Witeck Communications